Wondrous Words

"Alienor didn't seem to be listening to him, but was wrinkling her nose in disgust. Then I smelled it, and a moment later Noiclas did too. "Bon Dieu, what is that" he cried. " It smells like a barrow full of piss!"
"It's Jacques Le Boeuf," I said. " The woad dyer."
"Is that what woad smells like? I've never been near the stuff. In Paris they have to work outside the city walls in a place no one goes near." 

a European herb (Isatis tinctoria) of the mustard family formerly grown for the blue dyestuff yielded by its leaves; also :  this dyestuff http://merriam-webster.com
"
http://bermudaonion.net

Comments

B Reading said…
Never heard of that before. thank you for introducing a new word to my vocabulary :)
Margot said…
That's a new one for me too.
DNAPL said…
I never really thought too much about the alkaline solution used to ferment woad. But thinking about what was available - yuck! Now I am thinking about Celtic warriors - the famous blue warriors. Just yuck!
bermudaonion said…
That's totally new to me but now I'm very curious about the color.
Tea said…
Thanks for stopping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?