Travels With Charley

"
"WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG AND THE URGE TO BE someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch....Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ship's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, I don't improve; in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct others but to inform myself."http://rosecityreader.blogspot.com

Comments

Sheri said…
I haven't read Steinbeck in years! Hope you enjoy :) Thanks for sharing! Here is my book beginning at Shut Up & Read
I can't imagine why I haven't read this book! The opening drew me in, and now I must get it.
Here's the link to my Friday post: SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA.
Katherine P said…
I really want to read this one! I've loved all the Steinbeck's I've ever read (except for The Pearl. We won't talk about that one). This is quite a powerful beginning. Thanks for sharing!
Harvee said…
I've read this book several times. Traveling America with a dog for a companion is such a neat thing to do, and then to write a book about it....
Elizabeth said…
Never heard of this book by Steinbeck.

Sounds interesting and different.

ENJOY your upcoming reading week.

Nice blog.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?