Just Thinking

Usually, I settle down and read a book very quickly. I finish one. Then, it takes hours to move on to another. I hear all the recommendations in my head. Each book that a friend offers me to read seems like the best one. It comes down to counting my toes and fingers and thinking about This Little Pig Goes To Market. Since I am a bibliophile, I have to read. So, I grab one, any one. Next step is feeling guilty because I didn't choose the one you, reader friend, wanted me to read. Last step is bliss. The book I've chosen keeps my attention. I read fifty pages. I put it down with a pa of satisfaction. All through the day, I think about getting back to the page where I left off.

When it comes to making decisions, I'm the same way. With no book on my mind, I still take an hour or two to choose a new dress or a new pair of shoes. This morning I'm back to this ghost story. It's a thin read. Not one of those heavier P.D. James mysteries or one of the classics from Agatha Christie. However, it felt a bit tasteless. I thought, where is the spice in the story? A reminder that my intelligence is below the most proper and prestigious number I read more pages.  I'm continuing it because it feels good to not think for a while.  I'll lay back and help landscapers plant shrubs and flowers around this lighthouse property and hope that the lady will have romantic feelings for a ghost.

Reading a story like this one leaves me with the desire to learn Local History. What handsome ghosts and beautiful ladies have lived on our mountains and in the Southern mansions from the Civil War? I am sure there are past slave stories that are pasted in some big, dusty book. Perhaps, a woman like Mrs. Havisham, the lady jilted by her lover in "The Great Expectations?" I will feel greatly disturbed if we've driven daily by a piece of Architecture with a story about its clock, foyer or choir loft. I''ll bet my husband's old school might have a historical story or two.

In earlier years, Local History was on the second floor of our library. I've walked about in there. I always felt intimidated by the fact that History lived in my city or on my street, and I missed it while looking for the right jar of spaghetti sauce. Perhaps, I'm waking up from a long sleep. I would like to take a few hours and just go explore what is exhibited there. Local History is such a vast and wide field. More than likely it's easy to lose yourself in it like a needle in a haystack.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?