The Year Living Danishly by Helen Russell

 
I have a weakness. I love deserts. That means I love sugar. Shame, shame, shame. As a matter of fact, I have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow. While I sit in the dentist's chair, I might think about the Danes. They strive to stay away from sugar. The Lego Company in Denmark "provide workers with free baskets of rye bread, fruit and carrots instead."

I also respect the Danes because of their willingness to recycle. I've never been good at recycling either. Our family tried it for a while. It wasn't long before busyness took over our lives causing all  the trash to end up in one container. Denmark cares deeply about environmental issues. Obviously, they are thinking of future generations.

Not until I started reading "A Year Living Danishly" by Helen Russell did I think about Denmark and its people. It's amazing how much we don't know about the countries and continents around us. We often forget to celebrate or appreciate the assets given to each nation. My father use to say "one hand washes the other hand." In other words as John Donne wrote "no man is an island." We need each other. No matter whether a country is a Third World country or a rich country like the Scandinavian countries there is something we can share with one another.

I think this is why in years and centuries past there were World Fairs. At a  World's Fair, people had the chance to share new inventions. These inventions would improve their lives. For example, at the Saint Louis Fair during the year 1904 the wireless telephone was displayed. The telephone receiver had no wire! If those people were alive today, what would they think of our Cell Phones and Smartphones?

The 1904 World's Fair  celebrated the purchase of Louisiana, I am very impressed with the showing of the baby incubators. All of us know the significance and need for incubators. These tiny baby beds give our infants the chance to live longer.  I suppose it's all about unity or loving your neighbor. atthefair.homestead.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?