The Kill Fee by Fiona Veitch Smith (Kregel Publications)


It's a British Newspaper and a staff mixed up in the politics of Russia. There also are Royals and the famous Faberge eggs. All of this is found in "The Kill Fee" by Fiona Veitch Smith. During the Twentieth Century, there were the White Russians, the good guys, who sided with the British. There were also the Red Russians who wanted a new Russia where the people would have more control. It became very easy for me to learn and recognize the White Russians. It seemed much harder to keep up with the characters on the Red side. Thank goodness for the name chart at the front of the book.

If there is any interest in Old Russia, the murders of Tsar Nicholas III and his Tsarina Alexandra and their family, you will like this mystery. Also, if there is any fascination with Rasputin and what happened to him is a reason to fly swiftly through all the pages.

There is a runaway named Nana and a child named Anya. I felt the strain and stress of  these two people.  I wanted to remain with them as they fled. I also became involved with what happened to the actress Selena Romanova and Stanislavski. I have to write the novel seemed too detailed. However, there is great fun as Poppy Denby investigates what's happening. I liked her friends Delilah and Daniel, her boyfriend. There were many twists and turns. I tried to keep my eyes on the Treasure Keepers and the Faberge eggs. Poppy reminded me of Nancy Drew all grown up and across the pond. I could feel the rush of her journalistic spirit to get the truth for an ongoing story.

There is some historical information about the eggs which I won't recount here. The whole book,"The Kill Fee" points to the beauty and  desirability of a country's craftsmanship. As with any thing costly, there is always a fight to own the rich piece of work. The Crystal Exhibition is where the treasure was exhibited. There is no getting away from the fact that politics is involve.Unfortunately this leads to bloodshed. I am more aware that my next box of chocolates might have poison in them, and I am less afraid of the word Bolsheviks, but still afraid of how to spell it.

The mystery can lead to a fascination with Russian History. Their History is complex. A life time of reading might only begin a person's journey. poppydenby.com/blog/tag/christian-fiction


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?