Lingering In A Book



Zadie Smith is really testing me. One moment I'm in America with the dancing stars Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The next moment I'm meeting the well known people of England whom I don't know. There is my test. These are people I've never heard or read about in my life. Don't worry; this doesn't hinder my reading. It makes my reading of Swing Time more exciting, more fun.

Her novel is like bread. It's very nourishing. It's emotional in a dry sort of way. There are paragraphs where I want to remain for a few days. My weakness is that I don't like to stop and underline or highlight my thoughts. After all, you can't highlight or underline the beauty of a rose. All you can do is hold it lightly in your hand and sniff the delicious fragrance.

I want to walk gently. I will take my time reading and learning about these two girls and their families who are so different from one another and yet the same in some ways. I can almost hear their laughter or see that one tutu given to one of them as a gift. I can see the mother reading and studying books with an earplug in her ear.

Perhaps, because I had a deep love for my Dad the lines about one father haunt me. Why? I don't know. Thank God my father never brought a surprise home to my mother and I like this parent did to his family. He certainly tests the mother's strength. He tests her control. Those are the lines I wanted to note. The ones about control.

Can't stay here long. I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. I am thankful the books I must read are interesting in their own way and very different.listchallenges.com/lists/books/popular


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?