Murder in the Secret Garden by Ellery Adams




I have enjoyed another cozy. This one, "Murder in the Secret Garden" by Ellery Adams involves chilling poisonous plants like the mandrake and chemicals like Arsenic. From what I can understand poisonous plants can also have good benefits along with those too awful deadly ones. There are also facts about rare books. One character goes so far as to steal an Herbology which is small enough to fit inside a waistband. There is the Gutenberg Bible, monks and what can go terribly wrong in an order, in this case the Benedictine order. It seems we are unafraid to do wrong in the most holiest of places.

Of course there is murder where Ellery Adams taps into the idea of why good people murder other people. In a roundabout way she writes about the length of anger. If it is not addressed, it grows into "rage." These are only a few of the important issues that are addressed. On the lighter side is the description of the book retreat, Storyton Hall where rooms and pools are named after famous authors like Jules Verne. There are the Milton Gardens. I wanted to see a make believe diagram or something of those gardens or at least, the Medieval gardens. I did look at the village diagram in the front of the cozy.

I liked the characters mainly Jane who owns Storyton Hall. I did feel uncomfortable with how quickly she began an investigation without sheriffs or detectives beside her. Then, I felt a bit betrayed because the first murder victim, Kira, found in the water dead, seemed to have been dealt with too quickly. I know there is the wheelbarrow, etc. but still, it seemed top heavy. More time is spent with Tom and his dad and others of the wedding party. Lost in a haze is "why" was Kira murdered.

Needless to say I felt great thinking again about "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett after all these years. Not much is written about that Classic garden, but who can write about every single detail in any one book.

I loved the romance between Jane Stewart and Edwin. The author writes with emotion and sensitivity about illnesses and families. I look forward to rejoining her in another Book Retreat Mystery. By the way I will look closely at my next slice of cake. I might sniff it. I might say "no thank you." Really, I intend to bake a cake or two as soon as possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

First Chapter First Paragraph