Twain's End by Lynn Cullen (Gallery)

It begins with 1909. It's March. Unfortunately, it's not a autumnal month of the year. There is trouble, anger, jealousy, an affair, and guess who is involved? Mark Twain. I'm not a fan of Mark Twain. Well, I loved Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I've always felt unsafe with his racial values. Perhaps, I have judged him by his appearance: The white goatee, the white suit, the whole look. I just never wanted him to make me laugh. I wouldn't give in and read  "The Celebrated Jumping Frog Of Calveras County.  twain.lib.virginia.edu/huckfinn/jumpfrog.html  At last, I'm going to read this short story. It's followed me for years. I pray it won't make me laugh. If I laugh, it will mean Mark Twain is in line to become an author I like. Yummy, the first page has taken me away to somewhere else where there is a "painting of the Pitti Palace in Florence." sbas.fi.it/english/musei/palatina/

This man, Mark Twain, is very complicated. He's not a Humorist to take for granted. As a matter of fact, his whole household is full of people dealing with psychological issues. I want to think about what I'm reading closely. At the same time, I want to keep reading. Feelings and places are so distinct. The words are not quickly brushed on with a palette knife. They are slowly and lovingly painted. The author seems to have waited for each color to dry.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?