I'm Not A Lover Of Crowds

I remember reading essays in school. However, I wasn't looking for those writings this morning. I just happened upon an essay about London by Charles Lamb. I had to laugh while reading it. It's rare to find an author of this period or any person during any era writing about their enjoyment of crowds over solitude. It seems more intelligent, more lofty, to talk about the delight in listening to the birds, looking at the clouds pass or walking slowly through a field of poppies thinking about your next painting. Here is the quote that speaks about this man's love of a crowd.

"For my own part, now the fit is long past, I have no hesitation in declaring, that a mob of happy faces crowding up at the pit door of Drury-Lane Theatre just at the hour of five, give me ten thousand finer pleasures, than I ever received from all the flocks of silly sheep, that have whitened the plains of Arcadia or Epsom Downs." grammar.about.com/od/classicessays/a/London-By-Charles-Lamb.

I have to admit to disliking crowds. I tend to like the Martin Luther King and William and Dorothy Wordsworth's of the world. These people enjoyed thinking and had a love for God and nature.

Back to now, our world population is larger. Would Charles Lamb feel the same way now as he did than in that era? Too bad we can't ask him.www.britannica.com






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?