Writing Is Scary

Maybe the similarity is not there. However, this woman's need for an office in Alice Munro's story, The Office,  reminded me of Virginia Woolf's novella, A Room Of Her Own. However, my mind focused on this Mr. Malley in the short story. He tells long stories to the lady to whom he rents the office. I wonder who is more complicated as a person. The writer she is complicated. Also complicated is the man, Mr. Malley, who deeply desires to write, he feels his stories are interesting, but I don't know if he will put his words on paper. I've heard once a story is spoken there is no need to write it. It's been told.

I am the wannabe person. Nothing is so frightening as white, blank paper especially a long sheet of paper. I wish for the days when we wrote four and five page letters to friends and relatives. I remember writing my Grandmother and my Uncle. I had to write short thank you notes to relatives who sent me gifts.  I also can still see my mother patiently writing to my Dad's mother and to my sister. In school, we had Pen Pals. I had a couple from across the pond in distant countries. Those letters are no longer with me. I would love to hold them in my hand at this very moment.

Knowing the importance of writing, I tried to help my children see the importance of putting words on paper. I wanted them to keep journals. I know without a doubt each one of my children can write their feelings down whenever the desire to do it. I think they were a bit scared at first too.

I envy Alice Munro. She is a very prolific short story writer. I wonder how many short stories she has written including the ones torn up and given away. Meanwhile, this Mr. Malley is become more unlikable. I think he doubts whether a woman can use an office in a meaningful way without some shenanigans going on. Isn't that sad? "Several times after this I found notes on my door...His accusations grew more specific...He had found a whisky bottle in the garbage." I really feel like shaking this guy. I hope to see a change in his character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?