I Almost Forgot About You by Terry McMillan



I'm still fiddling around with Terry McMillan's last novel. Really, I'm wringing my hands for her next novel. Have you started one yet, Ms. McMillan? I've Never thought much about farmers, I have met  one or two in my life. I have seen two or three hogs. I have admired barns. However, I have never thought of the issues faced by farmers each day. I've never thought of their rewards either.

This morning I'm feeling a bit in awe of Black farmers. I've looked on the internet and seen some farmers who look like cowboys, others who look like admirable grandfathers. All of these men who seem strong enough to handle every situation and gentle enough to pick up a clod of dirt and look up thanking God for what it can and will grow. Thank you Ms. McMillan for widening my knowledge in another novel.


To the Negro Farmers of the United States

God washes clean the souls and hearts of you,
His favored ones, whose backs bend o’er the soil,
Which grudging gives to them requite for toil
In sober graces and in vision true.
God places in your hands the pow’r to do
A service sweet. Your gift supreme to foil
The bare-fanged wolves of hunger in the moil
Of Life’s activities. Yet all too few
Your glorious band, clean sprung from Nature’s heart;
The hope of hungry thousands, in whose breast
Dwells fear that you should fail. God placed no dart
Of war within your hands, but pow’r to start
Tears, praise, love, joy, enwoven in a crest
To crown you glorious, brave ones of the soil.
poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/52755

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

First Chapter First Paragraph