Theolonious Rising by Judith Richards



New Orleans, Grandmothers, children friends and relatives are a part of an unforgettable storm named Katrina. I never can read enough about this storm. I thank God for the people who lived through it and those people who helped one another. Judith Richards, the author of Theolonious Rising paints the setting well. I could feel my skin wet with water and my face wet with tears. Katrina of 2005 was a dramatic and brutal time for adults and children.

Monk lives through the storm with his Grandma. While they wade through rising water and find themselves trapped behind doors, I felt the bond between a Grandmother and her grandchild. Brave Grandma does not allow the storm to deter her from remembering the past. She shares these memories with Monk. He listens closely as she talks about Grandpa. She tells how he built their home. Grandma even cracks a joke during her last moments about not being able to swim but big enough to "float."

I gained a deeper appreciation for the strength and bravery needed by all those who experienced the storm. Monk holds his Grandma's head as she dies in all that water. He never left her side. I knew he was afraid deep inside somewhere. Monk, the boy, and Grandma, helped each other through a trying time. After Grandma died, Monk didn't give up. He fought through the waters alone for a while.

After reading Theolonious Rising by Judith Richards, I am more afraid of flooding waters than ever. There are many snakes and roaches in the water. I had to close my eyes and skip the parts about roaches. Is it possible the author gave to much thought to "roaches?" Disgusting.

I am sorry not to have spent time talking more about New Orleans and the friendship of Quinton Touissant, a real character and the history behind Theolonious Monk's name.  Quinton, although a striking dresser, knew much about Louisiana History. He tells Monk about his parents, etc. Throughout the book, we are reminded of "Amazing Grace." Something that is needed at the worst of times and at the best of times.
judithrichards


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?