The Breath of Peace by Penelope Wilcock The Hawk & The Dove Series



It is about marriage. Penelope Wilcock's "The Breath of Peace" is mainly about Madeleine Hazell and William de Bulmer. For years and years William de Bulmer was an abbot. His wife, Madeleine, throughout the years has been a Healer. After meeting one another in Yorkshire during the 14th century, they marry one another. For me it was surprising to read about a monk from St. Alcuin marrying and having such a difficult time adjusting to love and marriage. However, this is one of Penelope Wilcock's fine points. She writes about Brothers in a monastery with realism. I always come away knowing that although the Brothers and the Abbot are close to God it is not easy to act Christlike. Human nature still gets in the way.

It really did hurt to read about William de Bulmer's childhood. He dealt with quite a bit of abuse in his family. These painful memories have an influence on his marriage. I also felt pain for Madeleine Hazell. To me, she comes across as a wild, barking dog. Easy to snap at William while he comes across like a lost sheep who means no harm whatsoever. I wondered did Penelope Wilcock's feelings about a monk and his religious duties cause her to write in a softer tone about William's actions in the marriage.

I also had trouble with whom the couple picked as their marriage counselor. He is Madeleine's biological brother. I thought Madeleine's brother would show favoritism to her and not William. It is interesting to read Abbot John's answer to each of them. I think he truly was close to God because neither William or Madeleine seemed unhappy with the outcome of the meetings.

I didn't expect this plot for the next in the series. I was shocked to receive a book about a marriage and a marriage between two very different people. Again, I am anxious to read the next book in the series. Penelope Wilcock has a way of teaching practical lessons through the use of St. Alcuin's monastery in Yorkshire without making me feel like she is getting across Christian lessons. I also have fallen in love with the 14th century. In Breath of Peace, I had the chance to see more closely how ordinary people would live with farm life and all. The author also sustains a certain amount of consistency. I can not point to one book which has bored me or has been a repeat of a plot. Penelope Wilcock is an amazing author of Church History Fiction.
kregel.com/fiction/the-breath-of-peace/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?