Philippians Discovering Joy Through Relationship by Sue Edwards

Sue Edwards' Philippians Discovering Joy Through Relationship led me to start a Bible study. I haven't done a Bible study for quite a while. This one is great because it involves a whole book of the Bible. I especially like the fact that it will help me grow in my personal relationships. At the moment, I am studying "humility and self sacrifice." I thought of foot washing services my husband and I use to attend annually. I am happy to have attended these services because there was an intimate involvement with the congregation of the church. There is a quote in the Philippians lesson book. It is taken from Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner. "Community is, of course, central to Christianity at every life stage--after all, the very life of the Triune God tells us that we are persons only when we are in communion with one another."

Along with the quotes and scriptures, there are personal experiences from the author. She talks about her friends, her marriage and her professorship. I couldn't find anything to take lightly in this study book. I am reminded gently of my spiritual growth through Jesus Christ's help and my shortcomings as well. Sue Edwards also shares facts about the city of Philippi: the Romans, the women and Paul's life in jail. I am happy to have the back page with the works cited. There are books about our emotions, hearing God's voice and the beauty and wonder of learning about God.

There is a temptation to write that the questions are too hard. Not so. It's just that my mind is a bit rusty. I would like to make it my goal to do each book of the discovery series. How coincidental, serendipitous or primarily God knowing my needs, this book came first. It is the perfect topic for me.

I must also mention there is a helpful guide to Bible study at the beginning of the book. It gives a small list of Bible Help Companions. The author comes across as a sweetly chirping bird, like one of those on the cover and pages who wants you to love God's word and the people in the Bible.
discovertogetherseries



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?