Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey



I certainly enjoyed reading Kwei Quartey's Wife of the Gods. It's a mystery. The setting is Africa, Accra and surroundings. The main detective or policemen is Dawson. He is searching for who murdered a woman named Gladys Mensha.Gladys' work  involved keeping  in touch with people who were HIV positive or had Aids. She also worked to educate the community about the illnesses. From the very beginning, I liked Gladys. I never had a doubt about her good character. So I really wanted to know who had hurt her so brutally.

As the book went on I could never figure out who killed her. Well, I did guess the right person. I just couldn't come up with their motive or motives for murder. While Dawson hunts down Gladys Mensha's killer, he also contends with problems at home. His son has a hole in his heart and needs treatment. It is during this situation that Dawson's flaw in character shows up. When a medicine healer is careless while giving treatment to Christine and Dawson's son, Dawson flips out. His way of reacting seems over the top.

I did like the fact that the detective/policeman wasn't perfect.  At the same time, I wanted Dawson to quickly take anger management classes. In the novel, there are other police officers who seem to have anger problems. In this instance, I felt sickened by the way Samuel is treated after he is arrested and jailed. He is almost forced to make a confession of guilt. His treatment is ghastly. Is the way we get statements from people in some police precincts here or abroad so reckless and brutal? I pray not. Samuel is one of the unforgettable characters in the novel.

I think most of the incidents in Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey are quite serious and not to be flipped over. He gives so much information about family life, religion and justice in Africa. I look forward to heading back there with Kwei Quartey and eating cooked plaintains along the way in another mystery.kweiquartey.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?