The Heart Of The Amish by Suzanne Woods Fisher

 

This is a very special and practical book about forgiveness. I am so glad to have chosen The Heart Of The Amish by Suzanne Woods Fisher as a tool to learn about forgiveness. Each anecdote makes the heart beat faster. Some of the personal experience stories of other people from different sects of the Amish church made me cry. Each story made me want to dig deeper into my life. I am now more aware of the importance of forgiving those I have hurt or those who have hurt me. Life is never worth holding a grudge. Suzanne Woods Fisher writes about the part of the brain which is stimulated by a vengeful spirit. It is good to know about that there are churches where forgiveness is so important to the congregation. 

When I read some of the stories, I had to sit back and wonder at the courage of the people to step forward and forgive. Teenagers and older adults can feel afraid or beaten down by the one commandment involving a promise, Honour your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.— Exodus 20:12  Other people have to come forward and ask for an intervention in their parents' lives. Parents feeling shame or guilt find the Heart of God to forgive those who have stolen their children from them. The book made me feel warm inside just thinking of the outcome of a forgiving heart. At the end of the chapters, there are ways listed to meditate or reflect upon what was in the given chapter.

I liked the boxed information at the end of the chapters. I was surprised to learn about the mental health experts now available to the Amish communities. I learned about the Amish transportation. Why the buggy is chosen and the hazards or dangerous situations that can develop riding a buggy. Again, I was most moved by the heartfelt stories chosen by Suzanne Woods Fisher. I didn't expect to read about such disturbing circumstances. It brought home the point that each person carries a burden. Sometimes the burden makes it impossible to forgive ourselves. I am left with the thought that it is God who gives us the power to give forgiveness and to accept forgiveness.suzannewoodsfisher.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?