Grandmothers




My paternal grandmother lived in Florida. My maternal grandmother had already died when I was born. Since my grandma Hattie lived in Florida, I didn't see her often. I remember one special trip taken with my aunt, my father's sister. She took me on a train from Philadelphia to Florida. I remember enjoying the train ride. Most of all, I enjoyed the time with my Grandma Hattie. I especially remember eating oatmeal every single morning. I didn't complain. She acted as though the porridge were made especially for me. She also had an old piano in her slightly lopsided house. I had heard stories about her learning to play at the cool age of eighty. I also remember the water pump outside of her house. Sadly, I can't remember the sound of her voice. I don't remember it while there or when she came to Philly. I think she spoke softly. I don't remember a smile. My family had a painted portrait done of her face. The man painted the portrait from a black and white photo. That portrait looked just like her. She's not smiling in this portrait. She seems not angry just very serious. She is wearing a nice ladies' suit with a pink corsage pinned at the top.

That's about all the memories I have of my Grandma Hattie. These few memories are precious to me. I'm glad her face is still clearly in my mind. She was my same height. I can see her in my mind walking out to feed a chicken or two or hang clothes.

Memories are the sweet thoughts God allows us to keep. Without memories people would become forgotten. A special day would become forgotten or a special activity like cooking cookies with Grandma or just laughing with Grandma would become lost. So thanks today God for my memories and for Grandmas. The special ladies who live so long that you wonder about all the wonderful and spooky experiences they have claimed in life.

Thank you God for both my grandmothers. Although they are with you now, their blood is still winding throughout our bodies like twisting rivers. In some miraculous way, they are still alive, still with us, living the best of themselves inside of grandchildren and great grandchildren. They continue to water our lives. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?