Jaspar's War by Cym Lowell

This is a Political Thriller. It is about the Economic stimulus in the United States. However, the battle between those who would destroy America during President Heinrich's ideal plan to stimulate the economy by shooting money into the system is threatened by people not in America. So, the novel begins in Connecticut, and soon ends up in Rome, Italy. This is a novel about one woman's battle to save her children after they are kidnapped. First, she receives word of her husband's death in an airplane crash. He acted as Secretary of the Treasury. It is amazing how all this bad news does not knock this woman off her feet. Therefore, I think this is a novel about how to continue to fight for life and love when all hell has broken loose to take what is so important from you. 

Nul becomes the man who will lead her through strategies of warfare in urban areas. Nul is wise beyond his years and fights for the right in any situation. He is well known by the Vietnamese. He is a hero to those who meet him. I would love to see he and Jaspar's relationship grow in another novel.  In Jaspar's War by Cym Lowell, a small bit about prayer is mentioned. This made me think of it as a Christian Political Thriller. However, there is an abundance of violence. The novel would not seem real without this element because there are true terrorists fighting against our government and against Jaspar Moran and Nulandi. The terrorists do not wish for an Economic stimulus to work. Holding Theo and Chrissy, the children of Jaspar is part of the plan. She must not ever see her children again until the stimulus destroys America. 

My adrenalin rose as Jaspar and Nul and "Alice" fight against guns, bombs, whatever you can think of to get closer to the children and stalemate the plan of the terrorists. I did enjoy the parts of the novel where Jaspar and/or Nul disguised themselves as nuns or other people. Nul can really think fast on his feet. In the end, I am left with the words love and courage and sacrifice. Jaspar proved that she would do anything to anyone to get her children back in her arms. 

The novel is powerfully written. It is like sitting in a movie theater watching a fast paced run and chase and hide or blow up movie. Cym Lowell is magnificent at writing descriptive passages. I could not wait to turn each page. I am grateful to him for a small lesson in Economics. I am more grateful to him for the questions he raised in my mind. What would I do to save my family? How do I and would I react to very, very bad news about my loved ones? Cym Lowell in Jaspar's War does not preach or tell how to handle situations. He just puts this woman's life out there for the reader to observe. To me, Jaspar is a representation of courage and love. I will not forget her. However, I am now asking myself a question. Did Jaspar come across as too strong? This woman has led a life without violence. Is it feasible that she would not say no to such violence at least once before taking action, or at least for one moment become too scared to react? I'll have to think about my answer.  I do think readers  deserve a warning about the violence within the pages. http://www.amazon.com/Cym-Lowell/e/B00IT7MFHC/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?