The TULIP EATERS BY Antioinette van Heugten

Majestic and Marvelous is this Historical novel, The TULIP EATERS by Antoinette van Heugten.  The setting of the novel is Texas and Amsterdam, Holland. Also, I could include Germany. There is a scripture quote I once read, "seeing through a glass darkly." This is the way I would describe life as Nora de Jong sees it. At one point in the novel, with anger and frustration she screams, 'my whole life has been nothing but lies.' Those words rang in my ears because I felt so close to her as a character. In my heart I cried for her. The only way I can describe Nora's life is to write that she is an example of a living, walking jigsaw puzzle with plenty of trauma and tragedy along her trail.

I have heard it said that it's important to tell what is learned from a novel. In this one I discovered the importance of our ancestral roots for ourselves and our children and future generations. It is so sad to have to scramble searching for truths like Nora did in her life. Only to find the webs of truth when it was almost too late for her, Nico and rose and the other people in her life.

I loved the novel because it is so full of life. It is like the pages are breathing. Mostly I loved the novel because of the relationships. It is like each person played a role on the stage. Then, went back stage changed their costumes and masks to come back as the same people but different characters. Nora travels from Texas all the way to Amsterdam to recover someone she loved more than her own life. During that process she met people from her mother, Anneke's past. These people helped to unscramble the dark pieces of Nora's life. The truths were stranger than fiction making the novel seem like a masterly told mystery  and a great love story.

I also liked the impossibility of my figuring any relationship out on my own. Meaning there are cliffhangers throughout the book. I found myself making explanations out loud and wondering how in the world did the author put this plot together. 

The Tulip Eaters is not just a pretty title. The meaning of that title is clearly given. It is set apart from other words in a paragraph of its own as if the author is whispering, 'don't miss this, remember this.' I will always look at tulips in a different way whether there are two or a dozen. Incredible.

This novel also made me realize that no part of American History or European History is out of date or unnecessary. In this instance the 1940's, Second World War, when the Jewish population was under siege beneath the ugly hands of Hitler and his gang. This novel is another angle of that horrible time. The time left people not knowing who was friend or foe. What a devastating way to live each day of their lives. Then to find out years later people are still living their lives like Hitler and the Nazis were alive. These people live with bitterness and revenge in their hearts. Waiting to go no matter how many miles to murder other people if necessary.

Antoinette van Heugten is an author I will never forget along with all the characters in the novel: Anneke, Abram, Isaac, Hans and especially Rose.  avhbooks

Comments

Cecelia Dowdy said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?