Never Say Never by Victoria Christopher Murray



Victoria Christopher Murray left me with an admonition. In her Christian novel, she said "never say never." In other words it's no way I can know how my mind and body will react to circumstances until those hard situations enter my life. I could very well do the unexpected. This is what happens to Jamal and Miriam in the novel. They hurt the people they really love. If asked before the death of her husband, Chauncey, would she act in such a way? Probably, she would have said, certainly not. Jamal would have also said, never. Each character in Never say Never find themselves not knowing or not having the strength to control their minds and hearts. I will never forget those three tiny words. "Never say Never.

This is a tender novel about grief, friendship and forgiveness. Perhaps I'm hardhearted. I think it would have taken me longer to forgive if I had been in Emily's shoes. She's Jamal's wife. I did like the fact that the author, Victoria Christopher Murray, didn't allow Miriam and Emily to become close friends again proving that hurting others does have consequences. Miriam moves with her three children to Arizona far away from Jamal and Miriam. This way she will not serve as a threat, and the same mistake will not happen again.

Friendship is difficult especially in the face of hardship. Michellelee finds herself caught up in her two friends' trouble. It's hard to know how to remain loyal to both women in a way which will make both women happy.

There are so many issues in this novel. I literally cried when Emily jumped from a moving car and walked the alleys because of her emotional pain. Then, there is a little girl named LaTonya. She is impossible to forget. She too, at six years old, is faced with grief after her twin sister's death. At this young age she fights with thoughts of suicide. Yes, the issues in Never Say Never are heavy, but none of us can say we won't face the same or similar issues. Life gives us no guarantees. Thank you Victoria Christopher Murray for another wonderful book. I would like to see a sequel about LaTonya and also Miriam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?