Mom & Me & Mom by DR. MAYA ANGELOU


I remember reading I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by DR. MAYA ANGELOU. It's an autobiography which stays with you. When I began reading Mom and Me and Mom by Maya Angelou, I felt like this autobiography were as familiar as my home place. "I was three and Bailey was five when we arrived in Stamps, Arksas. We had identification tags on our arms..." However, in this latest autobiography there is so much to learn about Maya Angelou's mother. It is a memoir about the bond between mother and daughter. These two women lived to help and give love to one another at the worst of times and at the best of times.

It's ironic because Dr. Maya Angelou was taller than her mother. In every way she seemed like the bigger sister, and her mother the younger sister. Dr. Maya Angelou describes and shows photos of her mother who was a very nice looking woman. She was also a woman who didn't mind pulling out her "piece" (gun) if necessary and chasing trouble away with a bang.

I think of this story as not only Mom & Me & Mom but a family story. I met Bailey again, the brother of Dr. Maya. I also met the new addition her son, Guy Bailey. As she loved her mother and her uncle Maya loved her baby Guy Bailey with all of her heart. I was left with the thoughts women are survivors, even when men turn angry and abusive. Women aren't always catty. Women can love one another with all their might as friends and family. Also, women give love because it is what gives them pleasure. I will never forget this story either. I really liked Dr. Angelou's mother who ruled a roost with a iron hand which could turn as soft as clay. By the way, some women can do it all because Dr. Maya Angelou did do it all in this memoir. "I had had a physical response to art. I breathed deeply and was relieved. For the first time in my life art seemed to have a tonal.... When I was fifteen years old, I received a scholarship to attend the Caliifornia Labor School. I studied dance there...." Stories which are repeated in her other memoirs.

It also amazed me that no matter the distance if one needed the other one, she would show up to do whatever was necessary. "The telephone call had brought me across the country to my mother's hospital bed..." Miles never became a problem especially  when death drew near for Ms. Vivien, Dr. Maya Angelou's mother. Ms. Vivien's granddaughter and her daughter, Dr. Maya Angelou were beside her, touching her, holding her..http://mayaangelou.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?