The First Gardener A Novel by Denise Hildreth Jones

This is a novel packed with the deepest emotions  experienced by any human heart. Almost the entire story takes place in the Governor's mansion in Tennessee. Gray London is the governor. His wife is Mackenzie London. There is their daughter, Maddie, who is just beginning kindergarten. Along with these characters are Eugenia, the mother in law and Jeremiah, the gardener. Each person in this circle are giving people until the unexpected happens in their lives. This one event will reshape their lives for better or worse. The novel is so powerful that I shared it with my husband. Denise Hildreth Jones' Jeremiah is so special especially when he is playing with Maddie, or thinking about Mackenzie. Jeremiah knows The Lord well. However, he doesn't preach. He allows his flowers to speak through him. He knows the meaning of almost every flower or bulb: the amarillys, an orchid, lily, rose, etc.


"I been thinkin' a lot these days 'bout my ol' daddy. He the one taught me 'bout talkin' to God. Taught me a lot 'bout flowers too. He always say, "God can handle my yellin', and flowers can win a heart."
 
I learned so much about grace, strength and grief while reading this novel. Some sentences I read more than once. Others I repeated more than once throughout the day in order to never forget an old truth made new or a truth never known to me.

"All you need is today's grace. And when you get to tomorrow, God will have all the grace you need to get through that day too."


I also enjoyed the fun moments in the novel. I enjoyed Eugenia's bickering with Jeremiah. I especially loved Eugenia's friends: Dimples, Sandra and Berlyn. One time Eugenia describes her friends with these words.

"When they retired from meddling, they should all become spies for the CIA."

The First Gardener is unforgettable. It's a journey into hearts and minds. The novel is of staggering proportions.  denisehildrethjones






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?