Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball by Donita K. Paul


This novella is full of Christmas magic. It is the perfect book for any person who is not feeling the excitement of Christmas. Donita K. Paul turns on all the Christmas lights and decks all the halls with romance in Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball. There is also a bookstore, an old fashioned bookstore on a street named Sage street. I loved the name of the street. The name of the bookstore is delightful too. I tried over and over to say the third name, "Wizbotterdad." I never could do it. I would love to hear Donita K. Paul pronounce Warner, Werner and Wizbotterdad .

When I was growing up, I had the chance to visit quite frequently a bookstore downtown. My mother and I took the trolley and subway to Leary's in Philadelphia. Leary's I thought of the store often while reading about this bookstore. Warner, Werner and Wizbotterdad makes me remember wooden floors with a squeak, long tall book ladders to reach books far away from reaching hands. Books with shiny red or blue ribbons for a bookmark. Gold edged pages and  illustrated pages which I often discovered in the classics of Dickens, Jane Austen and Hans Christian Anderson. If you ever find a bookstore like Warner, Werner and Wizbotterdad, you will go back again and again to feel the splendor of a no nonsense bookstore which will hold your heart forever.

I didn't just fall in love with the bookstore. I also wanted Sandy for my sister. She's Simon Derrick's sister. Simon Derrick is Cora's boss. Simon's nickname for his sister is Candy Sandy which is very different from Sandy Candy. At least, that's how Sandy explains her name. I thought Skippy made this novella wonderful too. He's the cat that belongs to Cora. For example, Skippy hides in particular hard places to find. "She'd ferret Skippy out. That cat had no way to escape, and how hard could it be to find one fat cat in a one-bedroom apartment?"

Two tickets to the Christmas Ball  is also about relationships. The novella is Christian fiction. The most complex relationship is not the romance between two people in the book. The complexity involves Cora and her sister, Zee.  When there is a troubled relationship in a family, life can become like a migraine headache very fast because the people who are new in a person's life might not understand what in the heck is going on in this otherwise nice family. Cora describes her family as "....Tomorrow's Sorrows because whatever they choose today inevitably ends up being something they regret tomorrow." Simon's family is totally different. Simon realizes he is blessed to have a family who are responsible, like to enjoy life and where love is served up freely like a cup of tea.  Simon's family reminded me of The Von Trapp family Sound of Music.

Last but not least, there is the ball, a Christmas ball.I'm not telling who is given the free tickets to the Christmas ball. Neither am I telling who sponsors the Christmas Ball.  I will write Sandy's words. "Love makes you stronger, not weaker." "Love always bring the wonder of magic. I also enjoyed reading a bio of the author on the back flap of the book. So, very soon I am going to make a journey to Dragon Land. I'm really not ready to leave Donita K. Paul's magical worlds.

Comments

Donita K. Paul said…
I've commented on Amazon under your review, but I'll repeat it here. Your review made my day. It is so much easier to write when someone takes the time to encourge me. Wiz as in wizard. Botter as in "I bought her a ring." Dad as in another name for Papa.

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?