Blind Hope by KIM MEEDER and LAURIE SACHER

KIM MEEDER and LAURIE SACHER are very close friends. We can count Mia, the dog, as part of this friendship. One day Laurie adopts Mia. Little does Laurie does not come to grips with all the ways Mia is suffering until she's in the car driving back home with Mia. While driving home, Mia begins to realize she has rescued an animal with big health issues. "Falling silent again, Laurie glanced out into the forest. Emotion tightened her voice as she recounted her dog's losses, her pain." Since Laurie is close to Kim, she shares long, significant talks with her friend while they hike or horseback ride. Mia becomes the center of their conversations. These conversations always lead to God's heavenly hand in our personal lives.

Kim's understanding of broken animals makes her the perfect person for Laurie to talk to about Mia. Kim and her husband own a horse ranch named Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch. At the ranch Kim saves broken horses and wounded children. One incident is so profound. There is a child who has stopped talking because of her emotinal trauma. I can't imagine how it must feel to see a child not laughing, talking, laughing or sobbing loudly day after day after day. This child's state of being changes when she meets a broken horse. She whispers in his ear her secret sorrows. The horse stands still and "listens." In a matter of time a healing begins between the horse and child. The bond of pain begins to break their sorrow.

This is what Mia in BLIND HOPE will do for Laurie. She will take Laurie's broken places and make these places whole again proving that THE LORD is able to use any instrument for love and peace. Mia is suffering with many different ailments: blindness, diabetes, teeth problems, etc. Laurie begins not to take notice of Mia's bad breath and less than pretty face. Laurie focuses on new lessons of life from an unlikely source, a pet. Laurie shares all the lessons with her friend, Kim.

This deepened friendship between two women and one woman's deep love for her dog happens along the Oregon Coast. While reading, I fell completely in love with Oregon. It is not the first time I have read about the beauty of this state or heard about it from friends. Laurie says, "The Oregon Coast is such a powerful place for so many reasons. One of the things I love most about it is how incredibly dark it is at night. It's one of my favorite places to go star-spinning."

BLIND HOPE is a nonfiction gift about God's love for me during good times and bad. It seems He is always with me. He is in sweet control of what happens to me like a dog and its master. "My sweet blind dog has helped me understand that in every sorrow, fear, and loneliness, whether I could see him or not, God has always been with me."

During the days I read this book I would  find myself in conversations where I had to repeat one particular lesson from the book. These words mean and will continue to mean so much to me in the future. "Everyone faces a time when that "someday" is today and that '"someone"....is you." Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch








Comments

Hi Tea, thanks for dropping by and entering my book giveaway! I read blind hope early in 2010 and really liked the message and lessons that Laurie pulled out of her relationship with Mia, though I didn't think it was particularly well written.

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?