A Man of His Word by Kathleen Fuller


"A Man of His Word"  by Kathleen Fuller is "wunderbaar, wunderbaar." Wunderbaar translates from Dutch to English. It means wonderful. Because of this book  I most definitely will look for all of Kathleen Fuller's books. With all of their struggles I enjoyed spending days with the families who live in Middlefield, Ohio. By the way, Middlefield, Ohio is a real Amish community. The author gives a detailed view of the setting, the community, in "A note from the author."

Throughout the book Kathleen Fuller strives not to leave out any details about this fictional family in Middlefield, Ohio. To make reading easy the author also includes a Dutch glossary at the beginning of the book. This is very helpful. However, Kathleen Fuller writes so clearly and simply I rarely needed to use the glossary. Still, I felt secure with it there in the front of my book.

I think of this as two love stories going on in the same neighborhood. Only Taylor Johnston and her family are not Amish. Therefore, they don't live in the Amish community. Still, it is easy to touch base with the Yankees if a person has a need or desire.  One story is about twin brothers, Gabriel and Levi. The woman involved in this love story is named Moriah. The other story involves Rachel, Tobias and Christian. Each love story is totally gripping. Each person's struggles are significant and helped me to see the many ways God works in our lives. Each story made me take a new look at a forgiving heart.

I also realized, again,  the importance of God's Word, in this case, the Psalms. When times become overwhelmingly sorrowful and tough, the book of Psalms is used. I also realized there is always a clear escape for us made by God in any situation. I won't forget the physical pain suffered by John, the father of Rachel, Tobias and Christian.

There is one brother in one family I wanted to know more about. This is Aaron. Aaron has lived like a sheep gone astray. His life led him to prison. In "A Man of His Word," his story and past is touched on. I had the feeling Kathleen Fuller wasn't finished with introducing us to this character. Aaron's life is a story too.

Anyway, along the way, the smell of good Dutch baking followed me. I will always remember the apple cake. I could literally smell the cinnamon faraway in my home. I could feel and see the colors of the fabric bought in a store for a baby's blanket. Kathleen Fuller's descriptions of food, buggies, whatever is precise.

"A Man of His Word" by Kathleen Fuller doesn't make the Amish people come across as perfect angels either. She makes all of the characters like ordinary people with jealous hearts, indecisive spirits, anger, etc. However, the Amish use their flaws constructively. These imperfections show how far they are  from having a heart of God. Being a Godly example is important to the Amish. Treating their neighbor with love is their gift to people at home and away from home. So, the Amish are very quick to feel sorry for mistakes. It is their immediate goal to change their wrong direction and walk the right spiritual path.

Kathleen Fuller is a gifted author. I hope she continues to write more and more books. "A Man of His Word" is exciting, filled with drama.  I am so glad this book came my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

First Chapter First Paragraph