First Chapter, First Paragraph (A Tuesday Weekly Meme)

"I had a cousin, Randall, killed on Iwo Jima. Have I told you? The last man killed on the island, they said, killed after the fighting had ceased and the rest of the soldiers had already been transported away to hospitals or to bodybags. Killed mopping up. That's what they called it. A mopping-up operation."

Why did I pick this Historical novel? It's because there aren't any facts in my head about Iwo Jima. Only the name comes to mind. Don't worry ; I'm not a warmonger. Really, I adore peace and desire it with all my heart. Peace is like a handsome man watched on the movie screen, and you can't reach him.  However, I'm one of those readers who follow the words whispered in her heart. So, after reading "A Pale View Of Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro, my hands kept reaching for Kate Walbert's novel. Maybe it's because of the word gardens in the title. Truly, I think it's because of the personal way the first paragraph is written. It's like the narrator is really speaking to me, the reader.

I carried the book around in my mind for a few days. Then, I began to read it. Lo and behold, "The Gardens of Kyoto" speaks about a precious time in History. It is a time to always remember because my ancestors were a part of it. I don't know what to expect or not to expect in this novel. The author? I've never read one book by her. I can only cross my fingers in hopes that this story will intrigue me as certain other books have this year.

Amy Bloom, in a book review, writes "...The Gardens of Kyoto is a ghost story, a mystery, a love story." Those words make me wiggle in my seat. I love all three genres. Now, let's see if it lives up to snuff. Oh, the author, at the time when the book was published, had won a Pushcart and O.Henry Prize.

By the way, I know it's Monday and not Tuesday. I have chosen to write this one early and others early as thoughts roll through my mind. Because if I don't catch them the words or thoughts might fly away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

First Chapter First Paragraph