Beneath The Bayou by Niyah Moore

Oh my goodness! Why did I choose this story for Friday the 13th? I'm not superstitious. I have a healthy respect for sidewalk cracks, the number thirteen and cracked mirrors. I need to add voodoo on to the short list of superstitions. I don't know much about voodoo. This morning it greeted me in Niyah Moore's novella "Beneath The Bayou."  I had to look up the term and try to remember old movies as well. I had heard of sticking pins in dolls. These are little ways of manipulating our world to get our way. It must make the gods unhappy, at least my God to see us putting a skeletal head before a prayer.

"Beneath The Bayou" begins with an Afro-Brazillian and the location, New Orleans.  Are there more churches there or more people who believe in magic? That would make an exciting statistic.  I picked this novel because of the title. I like titles using the word "bayou." I remember a novel by Nora Roberts with the word bayou in it. The title is "Midnight Bayou." I loved reading it.

I expect to have fun while reading this one. As I read about the characters, I will also learn about New Orleans, a little bit about voodoo and more about bayous. I especially liked the quote picked by Niyah Moore. It's spoken by Zora Neale Hurston. It mentions "zombies." I knew nothing about zombies before reading the quote. The word itself lights up mylast nerve.

"A zombie is supposed to be the living dead: people who die and are resurrected, but without their souls. They can take orders, and they're supposed to never be tired, and to do what the master says." -
Zora Neale Hurston
nndb.com/people/222/000084967/

simonandschuster.com/authors/Niyah-Moore




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?