The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead


Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad has led to a desire to widen my net of genres. I haven't read Alternative Histories often. In this one, I felt deeply hurt not to read Harriet Tubman's name within the pages. However, I kept in mind that this is an invented history. A uniquely designed history is one where the author has the option to fictionalize the past as much as he or she may desire. I understand that point well. Therefore if I have a deep desire to read more research about Harriet Tubman I must choose another genre rather than an Alternative History.

I did like reading about the tunnels and the railroad mechanisms. I tried very hard to gather a picture in my mind. Thinking that this railroad would not look like the engines I'm use to seeing. I could also feel the places in the novel where I thought Colson Whitehead's enthusiasm glowed. At times, I thought his light glowed too brightly. Then, I had to catch myself like a fisherman catching a fish and remember the is an Alternative History. For example, Cora and the library overwhelmed me. Its beautifully written, and I do know slaves did learn to read, but this description of the library and the mention of Fenimore's novel, The Last Of The Mohicans seemed wild, far out there. Perhaps, my imagination is narrow.

Maybe I would have liked dates out of the future. How far was the author taking me in his new idea of American History? There was a need for more guidance, more big map books like the ones in the library. However, I did dance gracefully to the beat of the museum exhibits. I could have gotten lost in that world with Cora forever, and I could have gotten lost in such a library. I could smell the smoke.

Some of the words are almost written in a poetic fashion. I wonder whether the author has thought of writing or has written poetry that is published. Since I could feel the motion of poetry, I wondered why it took so long for him to write about the romance between Royal and Cora. I thought the intimacy there was written with a loving hand. However, I didn't understand the relationship between Cora and Caesar. I felt Royal should have been Caesar.

At the end of the book, I felt satisfied. Colson Whitehead's last paragraph explained why the struggle of Black America should remain entrenched in our minds. Like all awful events in life, there is a reason. At least, that is what I'm told. The emotional or physical pain is useful for not one class of people, not one race but all of us from every country and race whether experienced or not experienced.

Perhaps, the last lines can become questions for our inner selves and for other people in life. Where did you escape from? How horrible was your struggle? Are you still fighting to overcome the demons or is the struggle over for you and you're on to something different? Here, the author's words really make me think deeply. So much to think about in just a few words. www.colsonwhitehead.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?