Murdered in Argentina by Dianne Harmann


It has been a light and heavy week with "Murdered in Argentina" by Dianne Harman. The heavy part was the murder of Ray, a CEO, who loved Fly fishing. The light and fun part was the armchair visit to Argentina. I didn't know anything about Argentina. Now I know there is a high production of my favorite sweet, chocolate. There is also a high production of leather. I have to mention the foods which made me feel hungry for a bit of beef or tomatoes. I felt happy to see the recipes at the end of the novella. Oh, the Fly fishing was fun too. I thought of the movie titled A River Runs Through It."

I have fallen in love with Dianne Harman's mysteries because they are simply written. There isn't a lot of folderol. At times she might slide into too much detail. However, this doesn't happen often. I really liked the fact that the solution in this one makes perfect sense. I shocked myself by solving bits of it before the end of all the drama.

There is the wonderful way where she never left the location behind. For example, Pablo, the fishing guide, experiences the health care problems inside of Argentina. Inside Argentina, it is very difficult to afford the help Pablo needs for his wife, Catalina's, breast cancer. There is also the comparison and contrast between the justice system and our Criminal Law system here in America. I have to say God forbid if I had to stay in a prison in Argentina. The author writes that the conditions are horrible. I couldn't overlook the lazy way the police or detectives handled the case either. In this case, they are caught up in a family feud. This overrides the importance of finding a vindictive murderer.

I did wonder whether to call these Cozy mysteries Christian. After all, the author does speak about miracles and God. Perhaps, this information is on her website. Some readers might want this fact clearly expressed. In a place on the Internet, Dianne Harman's novellas are called Psychological Thrillers. I would not call this one a Psychological Thriller. Now, The Girl On The Train by  Paula Hawkins and Walter Mosley's mysteries are definitely Psychological Thrillers. To call these stories anything other than cozies or just plain mysteries is taking advantage of the readers who might buy the book. I know Dianne Harman doesn't want to take advantage of a reader's lack of knowledge about her series.

No matter, I am looking anxiously forward to the next mystery in this series. I am wondering is it alright not to read these novellas in order, or should I begin with the first one. From the subtitle I know Jack Trout and Carola Trout, his wife, will appear in each one? Well, I'll take off my shoes and unpack my luggage. I need to rest before taking another journey in a different book. www.dianneharman.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?