brown girl dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson


Naive? Maybe. I can't name anything bad about this book. Honestly. I loved the whole book. I especially liked learning about Jacqueline Woodson's family and sense of place through poetry. While reading the book, her family became my family. I won't forget her favorite uncle and his troubles. Neither will I forget her mother and her gentle way of teaching obedience. I will remember her friend, Maria and Maria's mother's cooking.

I recalled the History of New York from what I had learned in my elementary school: the Dutch, Peter Stuyvesant and the slaves. In brown girl dreaming, I came away loving the trips so many of us have made from the North to the South and back again. I will think more about the role religion plays in our lives. I found it easy to put away the negative words I have heard about a place called Kingdom Hall and congregations called Jehovah Witnesses. Most of all I will continue to ponder the importance of a girl coming of age in the United States. Last but not least, there is the light seen by a teacher in a student. I am thinking of the teacher who told Jacqueline Woodson she should become a writer.

Throughout the novel, the poetry is indeed "mesmerizing--and inspiring."vogue.com/13470421/jacqueline-woodson-another-brooklyn-novel-interview/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?