Deadly Currents by Beth Groundwater



In Deadly Currents by Beth Groundwater, Mandy Tanner says she can't imagine not living by a river. She is a character who lives near or on the Arkansas river. Her words really struck me. I know rivers are pretty. I just never thought living by one could dramatically change my outlook on life. It seems Mandy would feel very sad without that flowing river nearby. I'm just the opposite.

When thinking of living by a river, I only think of flooding. Obviously, I need to look at rivers more closely and see them in a more positive light. I would like to follow a river by seasons. Mandy says, there are "myriad plants" by the river. What colors? Any herbals? Wildflowers? My mind can't imagine. Yes, rivers are in my thoughts today. 

I Didn't think about plants growing in rivers. I am familiar with the Water Lotus which is plentiful and beautiful. Another plant that grows in water is duckweed. I picked this water plant because of its name. I like its delicacy. While looking at photos of duckweed, I noticed frogs underneath the plant in the water. More importantly, duckweed is being cloned in order to produce medications.
Today is the first day of summer. Maybe this week we will ride by our river. What kind of trees bloom or don't bloom by the river? I seriously doubt whether living by a river will become my most important goal in life. I can't imagine using Mandy's words or thinking her thoughts.

"Mandy knew she'd wither up and die like a neglected houseplant if she couldn't soak up the energy of the moving water and the myriad plants and wildlife it sustained."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?