It's Short Story Month, And I'm So Excited



I like short stories. So, I look forward to arrival of Short Story Month in May. There are so many short stories written in America and around the world. It's hard to pick from so many choices. Plus, I'm still enjoying Poetry month and will continue to do so until April is long gone.  So, I have picked two stories. The stories are from anthologies: One is Black Eyed Susans Midnight Birds by Mary Helen Washington and the other anthology is Flannery O'Connor A Good Man is Hard to Find.

One anthology is by a short story author I've never read. His name is Dana Crum. The title of the short story is "My Heavenly Father." It's all about a second grader in church with his grandmother. The setting is Alabama. His thoughts are so much like any second grader. He notices everything down to his shiny corduroy pants, the church ladies hallelujahs and their feathered and colorful hats. He also thinks seriously about his parents' marriage, separation and the new addition to the family. The story makes me think about children and their feelings and thoughts. Their innocence is really wisdom I can use. No wonder one scripture is about the importance of adults becoming like little children again.

Short story number two is  "A Good Man Is Hard To Find And Other Stories" by Flannery O'Connor. I've always wanted to read more short stories by Flannery O'Connor. Why? Because I like to celebrate Southern writers. Also, Flannery O'Connor fits my idea of an author who truly writes her life into her stories. She is a thinker about religion such as Catholicism, etc. There is also her fight with Lupus. I would like to read a biography about her. This short story certainly takes into consideration religious feelings. The story involves a serial murderer, a grandmother who strives to convert him and a family. The location is Florida and Tennessee.

I've always read or heard that short stories are harder to write than novels. I suppose it's because a writer has to pack so much into a few pages. Dana Crum and Flannery O'Connor have gotten my month off to a fun start but not a complete one. Poetry and short stories are so wonderful. I intend to read more of each throughout the year. I am grateful for Literary Annual celebrations. They help me not read one genre over and over again.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?