The Children During World War II

I have a favorite character from Everything Brave Is Forgiven by Chris Cleave. Little Zachary is one of the many children who is sent somewhere safe during the bombing and hard times of England. Sadly, Zachary loses touch with his dad and his home and must face the ugliness of racism at such an early age. Chris Cleave puts, it seems, his whole heart into this character and the other children too. Zachary is so innocent. He is Black. His new friends, white, also face a new situation. Who is this child who looks so different from themselves? Their questions to Zachary were painful for me to read. Zachary answers their questions as best as he can without a shred of anger.

Zachary's attitude might seem too goody two shoes or angelic. I don't think so. Like grown-ups all children do not face strange, new situations with anger. However, this attitude could change later as a child grows up. I don't want to give away all of my feelings or the plot in the novel. I just wanted to write about Zachary, the little boy who hasn't met with "colored" questions yet and the children who don't know how to handle "real" life yet either. Oh life! It bats us in the face almost as soon as we leave the other worldly place of our mother's womb. Theme? Innocence, I suppose.

Unfortunately,War children are still with us. The battle ground now is Ireland, Africa, Bosnia or an urban area like Chicago, New York or Philadelphia. Whether bombing or guns shot from passing cars or roving gangs why should children ever face it? It makes me want to ask the age old question 'why suffering?'

I don't know why Psalm 22 comes to mind. Jesus Christ asked "why have you forsaken me, God?" I feel powerfully strange eluding to this scripture verse. They are the Son of God's  own words during excruciating pain. Children, that's my thought, our children, in the voices of Zachary and other children, so young facing the hard question 'why are we different from one another, dad, mom?' Then, mom and dad striving to answer the question in the best way possible. Children, let's think of them in this world  where change is ever with us.

I have no articles to link. I certainly would like to and will read more information about Children of Color during World War II. This scripture has been on my mind lately.

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+21:4-5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?