Corregidora by Gayl Jones



I am feeling discouraged. It's about Corregidora by Gayl Jones. I tried not to feel down while reading it. It's impossible. There is one four letter word that occurs over and over again. Each page I hope it won't appear. No, it's there again.  The issue is not the plot. The plot is great. There are important issues addressed such as women with careers, men dealing with alcohol and becoming to rough with women and youth striving to find their sexual identity, etc. But the four letter word beginning with "F" dances habitually on the page. Still, the characters seem like living people whom I might have known or know. This is why it's hard not to just throw the novel across the room. There is this bed of underlying compassion and a woman who knows something about life. Plus, I know Gayl Jones is a famous author who wrote many other novels.

Perhaps, addressing the issue here will make me read on and finish. It's a small novel. Also, there is dialogue about the consequences of our actions, how women of color were bruised during earlier times by men of influence and who took advantage of them sexually. Leaving the women and their children to deal with emotional pain later and throughout the generations.

Could go on, but I'm just dealing with the gigantic, for me, curse word beginning with "F." Usually, I bypass curse words in a book. However, the repetition of this word echoes in my mind. I wonder why the author, Gayl Jones, used the word so often. I've read one of her books. Can't remember the title. I don't recall any curse words. I just remember liking the book. Maybe she had a life changing experience that led her to need this word to express herself.

Looking over this encyclopedia article which seems sympathetic, I hope my feelings don't come across as harsh or judgmental. Just needed a better understanding of the why of this woman's words.
 encyclopedia.com/topic/Gayl_Jones.aspx
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?