Saints & Sailors by Pam Rhodes The Dunbridge Chronicles

I've traveled on a joyful Christian journey to Iona, Guernsey, Scilly Isles and around other pieces of the British Isles with Pam Rhodes and congregants of Bishop of Bedford and his wife, Margaret in Saints & Sailors by Pam Rhodes. Amazingly, Pam Rhodes has written herself into this novel as a character. The Christian cruise is filled with the happy and sad moments of the passengers. It is also filled with quotes from the mouths of Christian saints. There are quotes from St. Columba, St. Ninian and St. David and Christian leaders like Charles Wesley. I could never tell all that happens on the sea trip. The book review would become too long. This is a small taste of it.

There are many characters in Saints & Sailors. I didn't think it possible to see each character as an individual. However, I soon found the characters beginning to stand up and shout "look at me. I'm important. You will learn something from my life on this ship!" I first became concerned with Rob and his wife. I've always thought all couples leave their problems at home. No, not true. Big problems between couples can come aboard with everything else including the luggage.

Nothing is funny about the sadness felt by Jill, the wife. Rob is distant from her. I think the sight of her is repugnant to him. She feels all of his venom and doesn't know where it's coming from and neither does she know why or if his feelings will reverse. The chasm between the two is huge. While the two live or don't live their lives on board and off board, the other passengers, congregants of the same church, are experiencing adjustments too. I came to feel that life on a ship is a little like life at home. The only change is on board ship there is the beautiful scenery and the stops on land along the way.

I certainly will remember Holy Island, Iona and the Gardens of Scilly. There is also the entertainment. I met an Opera star named Rhydian. He is world famous. There is Songs of Praise and the forming of the Gospel choir. On and on this novelistic carousel goes. Where it stops, you will never guess. For sure, you will remember the times when there were prayers and lessons about God. Must I stop writing about this fourth novel in The Dunbridge Chronicles? Yes, but I will add there are many aides at the beginning of the novel: One is Who's Who in Dunbridge?

Without a doubt, this is a trip that can stay on your heart and mind and in your life. The dedication at the beginning of the book is a honest one. "For pilgrims everywhere -- blessings on you wherever your journey takes you."
 pamrhodes.co.uk/shop.html
kregel.com/fiction/saints-and-sailors/ 
bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/pam-rhodes 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?