I Love My Brown Skin Because....by Julie Davis

 
This is a good non-fiction book for children, young adults and any other groups. I am an adult. While reading it, I had a chance to rethink my values and meet a few famous people I had never known.  This book is a way to learn how to cherish oneself. When parts of society decide you're worthless, you must have a way to heal yourself. The ultimate medicine is to love yourself at all times.

One way to love yourself is to look at role models. It doesn't matter whether these role models are alive or dead.  The only criteria, is that these people have served and have the desire to always help others. For example, the first two Black college presidents were Booker T. Washington and Mary McLeod Bethune. It doesn't seem like they ever had a thought about self. They always thought of teaching and serving people in and out of their surroundings. With this goal in mind, they didn't allow obstacles to stop them.

"I Love My Brown Skin Because..."by Julie Davis is filled with many ways to love yourself. The title bothered me a little bit. There is such a need, whether good or bad, to title the color of our skin black, brown, colored, etc. I hope people don't turn away from this book because of the word "brown."  https://www.netgalley.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?