Ashes to Ashes by Mel Starr Kregel/Lion

Ashes to Ashes is the eighth book in a series of Medieval Mystery Novels written by Mel Starr. The main character is Hugh de Singleton. He is a surgeon. In this novel, his search for a solution to a crime begins with bones in a fire in the Midsummer on Saint John's Day. Ultimately more than one person is murdered. Hugh de Singleton goes from Bampton  township to Kencott township asking questions. At times he is looked on with suspicion. One time he is nearly beaten to death. There are quite a few scriptural lessons to learn along the way as the trail seems to become colder or stagnant rather than hotter. There is also the mystery bag. This is where problems are put. Then, later prayed upon by whoever owns the bag. I really liked reading about the mystery bag. I had never heard of such a concept. I wondered did the author think of it himself or is it owned in Medieval legends.

I read the novel with ease and interest until it came to Randle Mainwaring's family tree. I felt this part of the novel became vague and long winded. Thankfully, the afterword helped me understand more about land ownership. It took me by surprised to learn that the property had come down to the woman. I think this is where my old knowledge became mixed with new knowledge. I just kept thinking that a woman could not gain property during these early times.


Otherwise, I liked the novel. I especially liked reading about the marriage between Kate and Hugh de Singleton. I almost became teary eyed as Kate nursed her husband, Hugh's wounds. Usually, it's Singleton, the surgeon, sewing the wounded bodies of  his patients back together. The disappearance of the blacksmith's son was really interesting. It made me sad to think someone had murdered him. His parents were heartbroken over his disappearance. I liked the Mirk family also. When two men vanish for days, it is hard to figure out who the skeletal remains belong to in the community.

The glossary in the front of the novel was so helpful. I really can't write enough about it.  Words like liripipe and reeve were unknown to me.
 http://melstarr.net/
kregel.com/fiction/ashes-to-ashes/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?