A Cup of Dust by Susie Finkberger



Many times I wanted to cry throughout this novel. Pearl and Beanie and their parents are so memorable. I had the chance to feel what it was like to live in the Dust Bowl of the Depression while in Red River, Oklahoma. The tragedies endured by this family and their friends are unthinkable. Pearl watched her friends go through awful abuse. Pearl wondered why her dad, the sheriff,  didn't have enough power to rescue Ray from his family. A Cup of Dust: A Novel of the Dust Bowl by Susie Finkbeiner is excellent. I would love to know how the author was able to put her heart on paper. Did she wet the pages with tears? I have wet my pages.

On the back of the book titled A Cup of Dust by Susie Finkbeiner, there is a book review written by a man who describes himself as a Dust Bowl survivor. When I read his name and review, I discovered many good reasons to read about the "Dirty Thirties." What was the Dust Bowl really like?  Did faith or something else play a part in the families getting through each day? What did a dugout look like?

I never realized dust could cause a major natural disaster. One baby, Rosie, died after swallowing so much dust everyday. Cups and glasses were turned over on the table so that the table utensils wouldn't fill up with dust. There were terrible storms called dusters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?