Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good by Jan Karon

When I started "Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good by Jan Karon, I thought she had given me enough pages to enjoy while saying goodbye to my favorite characters. As I neared the end of the novel, I realized Mitford had become a part of me. Since I have met the characters in a few of the other Mitford novels, I know these characters quite well. Reading this book felt like a family reunion. I felt so happy to meet Father Tim and Cynthia again along with the Violet cat books, Dooley, Sammy, Henry and so many I haven't named here.

The characters haven't changed. Father Tim still complains a little bit about his Diabetes. Dooley seems to go on maturing and becoming the son that any man would feel proud to have as his own and Cynthia still looks out for Father Tim like a good and loving wife. The characters are the same, but their circumstances have changed. So I had a lot of catching up to do in the book. I especially enjoyed Father Tim spending time working at the Happy Endings bookstore. Lo and behold, Dooley has a wonderful surprise named Lace and their future intentions are still being worked out.

There are quite a few passages about books in this novel. I especially enjoyed reading about Paul Laurence Dunbar, Roethke and Christina Rossetti, all poets. The death of Coot's mother is very sad. He doesn't seem able to accept the loss immediately. He continues to read stories to her. The way Jan Karon wrote about his loss is truly moving. I am trying hard not to write some of the words from the pages in this review.

If my eyes didn't deceive me, I feel Jan Karon isn't finished with Mitford yet. Am I silly? I felt there were many cliffhangers: What is going to happen to Sammy? He's definitely made a change for the better, and his life is still in transition. What will a wedding be like for Dooley and Lace? After serving as a substitute at Lord's Chapel, what will Father Tim do next? Felt very sad about Cynthia's failing eyesight. Glad to meet up with Henry again too. Although, he was on his way to Mexico. He and the Father seem to stay in contact by mail.

Well, as anyone can tell there is a lot going on in Mitford including Christmas. Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good really put me in a holiday spirit. Fifteen inches of snow is predicted. Can you imagine? I definitely wanted to sit in the Poetry Section by the potted rubber plant and read a Christmas poem or two. Really, I still want to move to Mitford, if they will have me. Thanks to Jan Karon for casting a wonderful magical spell all over again in her newest book. http://www.mitfordbooks.com/

Comments

I think this sounds like it was a good read. It was good for you to be back with familiar characters that had changed a little but not too much. Great review!

Check out my review and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/waiting-for-dusk-book-review-giveaway.html

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?