Wondrous Words


filtering through the volcanic blooms--
red, gold, red--to where
masked beetles gather round their
furred, subsident throne.

  settle, sink,

and the webs shiver into view--dense,
fine as a sawfly's
coigned, multipicated eyes,
lifted, face to face.

 Quoins are masonry blocks at the corner of a wall. They exist in some cases to provide actual strength for a wall made with inferior stone or rubble and in other ...Free Dictionary-Wikipedia.

I tried my best. Not an easy word definition to find. I tried doing a patchwork of meanings. I think it means the sawfly's are supported by using an angle. If you look up this word, look up both coign and quoin. Seems like the same family to me.(:


The Mail from Anywhere Poems by Brad Leiithauser

Comments

Hi Hattie,

I love the cover of this book, but I am not sure that the complicated language the author uses, is my kind of thing ...

I did find one other reference to a quoin ( an alternative spelling of coign), which was a part of the definition page on the Free Dictionary ...

"structure, construction - a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts"

Do you think that this might fit in with the words which follow, about the sawfly's multipicated eyes?

Great passage which really made me think about every single word,

Yvonne
bermudaonion said…
Both of those words are new to me. I think I'll be able to remember subsident because it sounds like its meaning.
Tea said…
Yes, I like your definition. It is the idea I pictured in my mind. Thanks for helping out. Glad you enjoyed the passage. Thanks for stopping by.
Tea said…
Thanks for coming by, Bermudaonion.
B Reading said…
I am guessing that subsident is linked with subsidence and on checking the dictionary online that is so. Coigned is new.

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?

The Sand Dollar: A STORY OF UNDYING LOVE by Sebastian Cole