American Primitive Poems by Mary Oliver

I misplaced my book for a while. So glad I found it again. This time I refused to put it down again because Mary Oliver in American Primitive took me on a Nature walk. American Primitive by Mary Oliver brims over like the white waters of a waterfall with goodness. It is so easy to see whatever she sees on this walk or to feel whatever she feels. One poem is about a little girl who gets lost. The poet gives the child's name. This made me feel the loss in a deeper way. Her name is Lydia Osburn. There is a poem about Tecumseh whom I want to know more about. I like this part of the poem most of all.

"Where are the Shawnee now?
Do you know? Or would you have to
write to Washington, and even then,
whatever they said,
would you believe it?

It's hard to pull back from my memory all of what she describes in this poetry book. There are bears, roses, snakes, berries, etc. I'm glad "Snakes" is a short poem because I could literally feel them glide quickly pass my feet. For me not a good feeling just a spooky feeling, a feeling of wanting to jump up in a high tree or go home. She also writes a poem about hospitals, The Civil war and a whorehouse. I could go on because of the many subjects, and the impossibility not to like some line or lines or the whole poem. Thank you to Mary Oliver for making my weekend nicer. poetryfoundation.org/bio/mary-oliver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?

The Sand Dollar: A STORY OF UNDYING LOVE by Sebastian Cole