THE ANTIGONE POEMS by Marie Slaight and Drawings by Terrence Tasker

These poems are a stepping stone from the drama Antigone by Sophocles. The poems struck a deep part of me where suffering and sorrow lie along with rebellion. "Anguish / in whispered song."
I also felt the heaviness, not decreasing, but growing with power to smother me. " Pain increases...shattered glass...fire and disorder." Those emotions did not make me uncomfortable.  It felt like a purging or catharsis. I was contacting the dark, deep, heavy side of myself. The place I never go to on my own. The Antigone Poems drove me to this place, a "sacred" place. More frightening and intense was the numbness. "No joy, No pain. The sharing of two people in sexual eroticism does play a part in the poems. "Only the blackened thrust."  So, there is "The debauched loneliness/of your thigh/flung/Across mine./ The height of frustration/Then/Chaos consecrates/ As all elements find final focus in the erotic..."
 


As I look through the poem again, I want to reread it. Who knew such negative emotions could bring forth some unique smell like "jasmine" or consecration? And with it all there is always "blood." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigone_%28Sophocles%29

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?