Book Beginnings/Friday 56

http://rosecityreader.com
"MANNY DIAZ HAD THIS DEAL WHERE sometimes he's play the voiceover to his own life in the back of his head. "Here's Manny, down the sidelines--thirty, twenty, ten!" Or..."As Supercop walked along the dark alley, demons and serpents fled from his path." Or, more poignantly..."Manuel Diaz occasionally wondered whether he was the hero of his own life or if someone else had landed the part." In Iraq, when he was part of an EOD team, Manny would run a voiceover while looking for tripwires: "Lieutenant Diaz, fifth call of the day and not even two in the afternoon. One-twenty in the shade. Dust thicker than paint from a spray can. He approaches the target with caution, knowing that one false step could mean the end."

http://fredasvoice.com

"This was perfect--just perfect. He wouldn't even need to risk using a flash. Manis closed the bathroom door and took a tape measure from his coat pocket. He extended it eighteen inches and laid it parallel to the arm on the table, then snapped a series of pictures, making sure to get all sides and every angle."


 

Comments

Bea said…
Hmm, interesting quotes. I sometimes narrate myself mentally but I think that's a result of my job, where I have to narrate what my students are doing.
Hmmm...What is Manis up to? Fun 56!
Katherine P said…
I like the internal narration. I must admit I do that sometimes. Looks like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing!
A police thriller with a touch of humor? I would read this :) Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

Sparrow's BB & Friday 56
fredamans said…
Can't help but wonder what happened.

Happy weekend!
Pooch said…
Very compelling quotes! I like the writing style in the bits you've posted.
Enjoy your book!

:)
Tea said…
Yep, I can't stop reading it because it's so good. One gross scene. That's to be expected where homemade bombs are involved. So I'm on for the rest of Mr. Fishman's book trip. Thanks for stopping by.
Hilary said…
I sometimes hear my voiceover too!
Yvonne said…
This sounds really good.
This sounds like a good read that's for sure :)
Thanks for stopping by my 56 :)
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages
This sounds like a good read that's for sure :)
Thanks for stopping by my 56 :)
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?