Bittersweet Memories by Cecilia Dowdy

In Bittersweet Memories by Cecelia Dowdy, I became so involved with the problems facing the characters in the book. Karen Brown is the main character. After disturbing information about her fiancee, she returns to her mother's home in Annapolis. Lionel, Karen's fiancee, shamelessly embezzles thousands of dollars from their church. The assistant treasurer becomes his accomplice. I felt so badly for Karen. It is no surprise that Karen ends up at her mother's home with baggage and a heavily burdened heart.

Karen quickly learns bad memories don't disappear like melting ice. She learns ugly circumstances will follow her until she makes peace with what has happened to her. Thankfully, she knows how to stay in prayerful contact with The Lord. She also communicates with her mother. Cecilia Dowdy wrote deeply about the relationship between the mother and daughter. A subject most psychologists and social workers have spent great time studying and writing about in different books.

As I began to read through the book, I began to think about the trials God can allow in our lives. I really felt hurt that Lionel would steal all that money from the church, desert Karen and go after another woman. What in the world was Karen's guy thinking about? I do know he was not thinking about her. He had to be thinking only about himself. I did have trouble with how long Karen continued to wear her engagement ring. Knowing me I would have almost broken my finger getting that ring off and out of my sight. It just proves each person deals with problems in a different way. Obviously, Karen had more self control than I have at this time.

Thankfully, there is a nice guy, Keith, who lives next door to Karen's mother. Keith takes Doris to church every Sunday. If she needs groceries, he runs her errands. He is really a nice guy. I had many questions about Karen's new life in Annapolis: Would she date again? Would she forgive Lionel and Michelle? Would she attend church again or lose her faith after such a traumatic situation? Would she find it easy to talk about this shameful incident with other people? I felt very happy that Karen's mom had a garden. While watering the garden flowers, Karen had time to think about everything by herself. I think the garden became as good as an herbal brew. God only knows where we can find good therapy to calm our nerves.

As if Karen's problems aren't enough, Keith is fighting his personal battles too. Cecilia Dowdy's Christion fiction novel is a great reminder that God does not promise to answer all our prayers in just the way we would like to have our requests answered. Bittersweet Memories by Cecilia Dowdy is also a novel about the importance of love relationships. "When he touched her hand, warmth traveled up her arm. Sitting in Keith Baxter's home, sharing breakfast, had a charming and intimate quality about it." Bittersweet Memories is a lovely story with meaningful issues for men and women. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I intend to read another Cecelia Dowdy novel very soon.

Comments

Cecelia Dowdy said…
Thanks for the lovely review, Tea! I'm glad that you enjoyed my novel!

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine E. Mckinley had a deep desire to know about Indigo. It became her purpose.

First Chapter First Paragraph

Are these the types of lives we are seeing and reading about in the news today?